Built in 1870, but inactivated in 1959 when the St. Lawrence Seaway opened. The square stone tower rises 60 feet from the side of a one and 1/2 story stone keeper’s house. The active seaway light is located on piles at the north end of the island.Located on Sisters Island in the St. Lawrence river about 2.5 miles southwest of Chippewa Bay.
via Flickr http://flic.kr/p/AK9cWh
Built in 1870; the station was established in 1834. The lighthouse was inactive from 1961-2011 and is privately owned and maintained. The square limestone tower is 65 feet tall and attached to a one and 1/2 story stone and frame keeper’s house, which is now a private residence. The tower was extended to it’s present height in 1900. The light signal is a white flash every 10 seconds, but is probably unofficial.Located on private land on Harbor Point on the St. Lawrence river in Ogdensburg. Since access to the area is limited the photograph was taken from across the Oswegatchie river.
via Flickr http://flic.kr/p/EDEA7p
Built in 1934; the station dates back to 1880. The square metal tower is 40 feet tall and rises from one corner of a one story keeper’s house. Both are mounted on a concrete caisson. The original 4th order Fresnel lens is now on display at the nearby maritime museum. The lighthouse has been under rehabilitation since 2012, receiving state and local grants and support from an active volunteer group associated with the nearby maritime museum. The light signal is an alternating red and white flash every 5 seconds.Located on the breakwater in Oswego. It should be noted that Oswego, located at the eastern end of Lake Ontario, receives on average, around 200 inches of snow per year, which may account for the rusty lighthouse tower.
via Flickr http://flic.kr/p/Nba4kp
Work by local artist mark Raggett.
via Flickr http://flic.kr/p/Ky9tpY