Deteriorating Signage at Dawn: Vintage Gas Station & Auto Shop, Former Roswell Motor Supply, Roswell, NM by classic_film:This is a shot of the back wall of Roswell Motor Supply, which was located for decades on the northwest corner of Virginia Avenue and E. 2nd Street.
The old, crumbling building in Roswell’s decaying, historic railroad district was scheduled for demolition, but was saved by a non-profit Roswell historic group and a restaurateur. It has gone through costly repairs, been renovated/re-purposed so that it can soon be the home for new businesses, art events, and several restaurants. Originally, the single-level 1920’s building housed Sinclair Gas Station.
A cool, 1940’s-era Roswell Motor Supply neon sign (“Friendly Service”) that was outside the building was also saved, and now resides inside Farley’s Food Fun & Pub, high above the restaurant’s customers’ heads. At night, the restored, neon gas station/auto shop sign is lit up.
Northwest corner of Virginia Avenue and E. 2nd Street
Roswell, New Mexico
A bit about Roswell:
As of the 2010 census, it had a population of 48,411, making it the fifth-largest city in New Mexico. It is a center for irrigated farming, dairying, ranching, manufacturing, distribution, and petroleum production. It is also the home of New Mexico Military Institute (NMMI), founded in 1891. Bitter Lake National Wildlife Refuge is located a few miles northeast of the city on the Pecos River. Bottomless Lakes State Park is located 12 miles (19 km) east of Roswell on US 380.
Roswell is most popularly known for having its name attached to what is now called the 1947 Roswell UFO incident, though the crash site of the alleged UFO was some 75 miles (121 km) from Roswell and closer to Corona. The investigation and debris recovery was handled by the local Roswell Army Air Field.
Roswell, New Mexico / Route 66 road trip with husband, 30th anniversary vacation, February/March 2016